Friday, March 8, 2019

Spring has Sprung! Part 2

Following on from my last post; spring migrants are also trickling in at Delta Llobregat. Lots of insects are now on the wing, plants are flowering, resident species are singing, lizards are basking on the boardwalks and rocks.


Over the last few days I have added several new species to my patch year list, including: several Barn Swallows & House Martins, 2 flyover calling Yellow Wagtails, 2 Flyover calling Little Ringed Plover, and a returning lone Oystercatcher.Over the last few days there has been an abundance of Song Thrush, and Chiffchaff throughout the reserve, presumably both species traveling in opposite directions. Error




Other recent nice patch birds include a showy Great White Egret, feeding in a dried out/concentrated pool, which seems to be full of fish, calling Iberian Green Woodpeckers, and my first singing Moustached Warbler. error





I'm still searching for a good plant guide for the region, so until I get my hands on that I've left a lot of plants unidentified, but nonetheless I'm still documenting them for ID later on down the road. 



I had a lovely invertebrate surprise yesterday in the form of two hunting Vagrant Emperors. I managed to have nice views, but they were ridiculously fast and all I managed was a really pathetic record shot. But if you use your imagination you can make out the brown eyes, unfortunately no other features are visible - you just have to trust me! Aside from these, I also had my first Painted Ladies, Hummingbird Hawkmoths, Red Admirals, and an unidentified blue. error

No comments:

Post a Comment