Thursday, March 7, 2019

Spring has Sprung! Part 1

Even though it really hasn't felt like I've had a winter at all here, it's still nice to see a stretch in the evenings and to see signs of spring creeping in around me.

The first signs of spring came to me last weekend, when I went hiking in Garraf with my partner Alba and came across several stunning Green Hairstreaks (Callophrys rubi) - a new butterfly for me. I've always wanted to see this  in the flesh but they always managed to elude me back home in Ireland. 
Green Hairstreak, Garraf, Catalunya



















To top this off we found a group (20-30+) of Ophrys fusca (aka Sombre/Dark Bee Orchid), which constituted my first Catalan Orchid. Orchids are a wonderful species and always take my breath away when I am lucky enough to chance upon one. This particular species is one of, and perhaps is (still learning!) the earliest flowering orchid in Catalunya. Delta Llobregat is quite a famous site for orchids in Catalunya, so with any luck I will have many more pictures to post in the coming weeks.

Ophrys fusca, Garraf, Catalunya

This was found growing within a native pine forest at approx' 400m at the edge of a path, at a somewhat awkward angle which prevented the local numerous wild boar from trampling them; although this didn't stop the trail runners, having found two trampled mature plants. 

Another lovely species from the day was Narcissus assoanus aka Rush Leaved Jonquil. This small daffodil species is a native to Catalunya, Spain and France and was rather frequent along our walk.


















Even though the focus was not on birds this time, I still saw and heard lots of Dartford Warblers, as well as the enigmatic Crested Tit, both of which are always welcome treats.


1 comment: