Sunday, March 10, 2019

Scops Owls & Squirrels

Having had family commitments during the day I couldn't make it to Cal Tet - my local end of the Delta Llobregat complex. After dinner I felt the urge to get out birding somehow and thought of La Pava. This is a pine woodland which forms part of the greater Delta Llobregat complex, but is at the far end, some 13km from home. It is a great spot for Scops Owls & Little Owls and I wanted to chance my arm and get out of the house, so off I went.

Scops Owl I photographed at Delta Llobregat, last summer.
I arrived at 18:15, and having only been once last summer at night, I took a walk around to get my bearings. It has some really nice habitat, with pine woods, more deciduous areas, some grassland and agricultural land. I certainly want to start paying this more attention.

Within minutes of arrival I heard the familiar raspy call of 3 Jays, a species new to my delta list, and a species, I have been told has only recently colonised the delta, at this particular site.



Soon after, I picked up 2 Red Squirrels high up in the canopy, calling to one another. These were a Catalan tick, and it was great to see them in the Delta. The light was too poor to photograph them but I did manage this recording of their contact calls:



Further along my reckie, I heard what I thought was a nice close Crested Tit, which I've been trying and failing to record well. Much to my surprise, when I looked up into the pines, I saw two Great Tits, one which was giving a fairly typical Great Tit call, and the other apparently calling like a Crested Tit. This call is so convincing that I am now actually doubting myself, and wonder was there actually a Crested Tit hidden out of sight also calling. What I saw in the field says no, but its just niggling at me. Are there any confirmed/recorded instances of Great Tit mimicking Crested Tit? I know Great Tits are accomplished mimics, so it really wouldn't surprise me. Regardless, I will pay close attention to any tit calls at the site, when I visit next.



As night began to fall I was startled by a very close and very loud Little Owl, which was soon answered by another nearby owl. It was really lovely to hear them through the silence of the night.



As I was listening to several Little Owls calling around me, I picked up a Scops Owl calling too. Prior to my arrival I was unsure if I was too early for this migrant species, but as the night continued I heard at least 5, so clearly it isn't too early at all. 





I was really impressed with La Pava, and I will certainly be paying a visit again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment